Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Improv session--piano and paint

Spent much of this day preparing surfaces to paint upon on Friday night when our improv paint meets Michael Arnowitt's improv piano in a concert at Wood Art Gallery. This event was discussed in Seven Days newspaper. We "practiced" on Sunday evening and I was quite swept away by the piece of music when I was painting this piece. "Be still my heart." I exclaimed when the reverberation finally silenced. If my painting could nearly express what the music made me feel, I would be happy....I'll be working in acrylic which is not my mode, but the quick drying aptitude is necessary. Because my paintings are layers of paint, I will be working on them after the music session and can add the oil and wax layers. A couple of the surfaces are unique for this session of piano improv and I will be writing about these experiments when I have them in my hand...as finished....so, more later.

2 comments:

M.A. Wakeley said...

I love the idea of piano and paint, having done both myself. The connection between painting and playing or listening to music is so along similar lines. I love them both. Looking forward to your follow up on this. I really like the feel of the painting, Maggie. m.a.

Maggie Neale said...

Thanks Mary Ann. I dropped all paintings off at the cabin studio and need to get back there to look again and take photos.