Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Color Musings goes to the Art Festival



Yes, an art festival in local Waterbury, VT and the weather turned HOT.  Well, I sweated through the organization the day before the event and I came up with some new pieces, using fabric which was marred for its original use and needed to be cropped, so I made the cropped float and it was magical in fire tones, floating on the breezes which made the movement in the booth lively.

 When one signs up for a fair, that one doesn't think about the weather or what goes into the booth; it's a date in the future and for me a small fee is essential...also distance away.  This one was close by and only one day but the heat of the one day at 90 made it hard to think of selling silks, and with sweat on the brow, I wasn't looking my best.  Still it is a creative process to set up a 10 x10 room with my silks and paintings, all color musings.  I always learn more about my work in this process.
 Here are 2 more of the floats.  The neutral one I made more than a year ago but it is roughly sewn because I didn't have the right needle or tension or something, so I set it aside.  The red, yellow, and blue one is new, a piece cut from a super long piece which I had painted 10 years ago.  I think I have figured out something new to say with my silks and having this deadline of the show pushed me into making something solid.  Let us always be able to see the pluses of each situation....
 The wildlife silk, which I painted for the fashion show which I didn't use because of the rain, had it showing as a wrapped dress.  It got even better when I topped it with a mysteriously dark cocoon, but that came after the images had been taken.  To keep myself learning I changed things about in the booth making improvements.  A few sales changed it up too.  I was happy to let go of a few sale items and also leased to see that 2 of the freshly painted scarves were chosen.
One side of the booth,  The silk hanging on the left surfaced and was declared a hanging, not a jacket and received its hemmed edges so it could hold rods.  It was exciting to see this piece again.  I didn't discover its date but surely it was painted at least 2 years ago, but never had a chance to hang out until last Saturday.  Will I put a big silk hanging on etsy?  Hmmm...always more questions on how best to proceed.  Now I pack my box of seconds because in a week I must go to Burlington to Frog Hollow for the sidewalk seconds sale.  Just havta keep trying.

Enjoying raspberries, blueberries, and the occasional swim between work.  Summer is fleeting.


4 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Floats, scarves all reflect beautifully. I am always taken with your imagery and colors connecting to your environment...granite and water.
Sorry about the blasting heat but it sure sounds wonderful, fresh picked blueberries, strawberries and a swim!

Maggie Neale said...

Hi Mary Ann, nice to hear from you...just got in from picking the black raspberries; I grew up in Ohio picking berries and it brings back childhood to be picking again.

Mags Bonham said...

Maggie,
I didn't realize that you were at the Stowe Street Show too! I only had a few minutes to run get something to eat and didn't really get to check out all of the booths. :-(

Maggie Neale said...

Hi Mags, I too didn't get out to look at others and making little money didn't allow me to be a customer...alas!