Friday, September 23, 2011

Equinox! Foliage turns yet mosquitos still bite

Mixed up weather.  Almost hot today.  The silks could dry in the short time the sun was above the ever growing trees which surround our bowl of yard.  The chenille scarves could dry.  I love having the sun aiding me drying my work.  I am busy on all levels and it feels a bit crazy.  I want to be painting in the studio, but my galleries need chenille scarves and so soon the weather won't allow me painting on the back deck.  I get a bit confused with so many directions pulling my energies.  This painting seems to feel that confusion.  I see fall turning and almost the cooler winds of winter blowing in.  Birds fly and I love some of the golden hue....shoot, I can tell it is not resolved yet.

This week has seemed long.  I worked hard on Sunday so I could have the scarves steamed before Monday when the reception at Claire's took place.  Monday seems an odd day for a reception, but we partied and then did the rest of the week.  Yesterday I took Bruce to see "Bully" at Lost Nation Theater, such a great performance of John Alexander bringing to life Teddy Roosevelt, complete with a stuffed teddy bear.  That was Thursday night!  Today we worked, then took a walk and gathered hawthorne berries...a delightful find, but so many mosquitos all out making a feast of our blood for the equinox.  We got home to find a deer in the garden. Just as we took the brie, bread and wine to the back deck the rains came, not enough to stop us, oh, no, we had to pull the chairs under the overhang and experience the warm rain.  Now the computer calls and images to pull out of the camera...Saturday is a work day as I am clerk in the gallery...odd week.

 This painting was going to go under and be painted over, but I turned the canvas and decided to keep it after adding a bit of fresh paint.  Sometimes paintings have a big say in their existence.
This painting also was turned.  It's been evolving through this past 2 weeks and keeps me thinking of the trip to Maine I'll be taking in October.  My son and his gal are coming from CA for his oldest friend's wedding; then we take off for a few days on the ocean in Maine with Bruce and other son Jonah...a family trip.  Ezra is so excited with the thought.  I've rented a cabin on the coast which is adjacent to the big house my art group has taken for the month.  Yes, I'll be painting at the ocean for a couple of weeks in October.  Maybe that is why I am so crazy busy trying to get scarves done before I leave.  A lot on my mind....but fun, too!

This small painting, 12x12, was finished almost...then I wrecked it; now maybe I have revived it again.  Just had to look at it again tonight and toss it out for you all to have your opinions.....Art can be so subjective.  It can transform your mood like music.  It can speak; demand; challenge.  I feel pretty darn lucky that I can allow art to flow from me like blood and water.

Be well followers, readers, friends, art makers and harvest what you will.  Tis the season.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

I like the last one the best,actually. It is primiordial, oceanish to me. And you can tell on my blog I do a lot of sea impressions!

Mosquitoes are wicked here too. I saw some of your beautiful scarves at the opening at Two Rivers last week end.

Altoon Sultan said...

Why is it that when things should be calming down after summer, they get so busy again? But it's a good busy-ness for you, with an opening and a demand for your beautiful silks. I love the third painting and it does remind me of a rocky coast. It sounds like you'll have a great trip to Maine, to relax and be inspired.

nancy neva gagliano said...

luv that title...like the 6 word autobiographies...
sort of like life as
even in the most beautiful of times
there usually is a little 'bite'...
beautiful works.
give me that turquoisy backdrop ala rockyness.

Maggie Neale said...

Hi Debbie, primordial! Definitely watery. Opening at 2 Rivers? My scarves? I'm curious...

Maggie Neale said...

Altoon, it's harvest time. Time to reap. Reaping is demanding. Whew.
Glad to have your voice on the third one. It is coming together.

Maggie Neale said...

Hi Neva, thinks for noticing the title. Words group and make images just like forms. That turquoise seems a bit bright in this image...glad you like it.

Debbie said...

Twin Rivers Studios Gallery in Lyme? I am sure I saw some of your scarves there.

Debbie said...

Maggie I am sorry it is LONG River Studios, do not know where my head was.

Maggie Neale said...

Hi Debbie, yes, Long River...there is a Two Rivers Farm very near here...thanks for clarification!