Friday, May 29, 2009

Doesn't seem so long ago

It doesn't seem so long ago that I was in Washington, DC with Mama and my sister Martha. We went for the opening of the Native American Museum because Mama has long been such a supporter of the Native American and, of course, we had to go by the Capital where she walked right up and stood with the Code Pink protesters and spoke her thoughts to them all, including Carolyn Sheedy. Was it really so long ago...when she was free and mindful? I just got the word that she now wears an ankle bracelet, because she was wandering into the outside world to marvel at the trees and the growing world, to listen to the birds, and she wandered too far or was gone too long because now she is a prisoner. Because of the bracelet, an alarm will sound if she nears the door. I am so sad that this is what is going on. Yes, I want her safe, but I also want her to marvel at the wonders of the natural world she so enjoys. My last phone call with her, I could feel her shrinking more inside herself. Mama, Mama, have faith that there are still many delights for you to take in. Maggie, have faith that this will all be bearable.

No comments: